We’re 100% Committed to the Protection of Your Most Valuable Asset
We’re Fanatical About Testing…And Delivering Advanced Protection® Technology For Your Home.
When you install a GAF Advanced Protection® Shingle, you’re getting the very best combination of weight and performance that modern technology and testing can deliver. In fact, we perform over 185 individual tests in the making of our Advanced Protection® Shingles. The result? No one makes a better asphalt shingle for:
- Granule adhesion
- Wind uplift resistance
- Fire resistance
GAF is also the first manufacturer that can say all of its shingles pass the industry’s two toughest wind resistance tests: ASTM D3161, Class F (110 mph) and ASTM D7158, Class H (150 mph).*
And Now We’ve Taken Shingle Quality to a Whole New Level: Introducing AC438
AC438 is the first set of tests for shingles that uses advanced science to predict long-term shingle performance in three critical areas:
Long-term durability: How your shingles perform after long-term exposure to the sun (the #1 enemy of your shingles).
Wind-driven rain performance: How your shingles will stand up to heavy, driving rains.
Long-term extreme-temperature resistance: How your shingles withstand extreme temperatures—like the cold of winter in Montana or the heat of summer in Arizona.
We’re pleased to announce that all of GAF’s shingles have passed the requirements of AC438. GAF is the first shingle manufacturer whose shingles pass these torturous tests. We think Mother Nature would be impressed!
* Testing performed under controlled laboratory conditions.
- Thermo-gravimetric Analyzer evaluates asphalt ratios to ensure superior durability
- Dynamic Mechanical Analyzer measures flexibility and toughness
- Dynamic Shear Rheometer provides critical data for shingle optimization
What Does Advanced Protection® Technology Mean to the Experts?
Some people think that asphalt shingles are just a low-tech (albeit highly effective) roofing material.
But now, GAF has turned the art of making roofing shingles into a science, with its Advanced Protection® Shingles. Utilizing some of the most advanced design, manufacturing, and testing techniques available in any industry (including computer simulation technology originally developed for the Space Shuttle), the result is today’s most advanced roofing technology—now available to consumers to protect their homes.
Compare GAF’s Advanced Protection® Shingles To Old-Fashioned Shingles…
*See gaf.com/patents for more information.
**Testing performed under controlled laboratory conditions.
“What Does Advanced Protection® Technology Mean For Nature?”
Everyone wants to do their part to be environmentally responsible. GAF’s Advanced Protection® Shingles:
- Eliminate the unnecessary waste of natural resources, because they use less asphalt and limestone
- Reduce transportation waste, because they are weight-optimized to minimize fuel use
- Result in less landfill waste, when the shingles are eventually replaced
- Can be recycled to benefit the environment. Used asphalt shingles have traditionally not been recycled—they’ve just been thrown into landfills. That’s why GAF supports a new recycling program— that will allow our contractors to recycle old shingles for re-use in roadways